Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Three Thoughts from Sunday


Humility by CJ Mahaney

1 The following is part of a book review I wrote on Humility in February 2006:
Get it! That's the most I can say. Without a doubt, if you are short on time and can only read a small bit per day, read Scripture. But if you can read a little more, I would then encourage meditating on Scripture, by reading works that are immersed in it. This book continually reminds you to get to the foot of the cross.

CJ uses so much Scripture in context that he can't help but his theology to be accurate. Though I don't agree with all of his positions, he is so clear that regeneration comes only through the work Christ, by faith given by Christ because of the grace of God in Christ. By taking you to the gospel continually, he does not keep things at the entry level (as some might assume) but actually calls you to dig deeper than most believers probably go.

However, this is not a doctoral dissertation, splattered throughout with difficult to understand words and concepts that are difficult to apply in everyday life. Near the end of the book, he gives suggestions for cultivating humility. One of his suggestions is "play more golf." After just a week of seeing how many of his suggestions do cultivate humility, I'm actually thinking of getting my clubs out of storage and giving it a try. Of course, I think that's probably more humiliation than humility.

CJ's life is graced with an infectious smile and joy. His book is a joy to read as well. But even more exciting, by God's grace, I have discovered that humility is not a painful Christian obligation, but an amazing joy.

I praise God that He has begun cultivating humility in my life and pray that He continues to do so (for I've got much much further to go). I am thankful to CJ, and the man who gave me this book, because God used it to reveal His Word to me and cultivate a heart that wants humility. I'd strongly encourage you to check it out!


2 By the way, CJ has an excellent blog I would commend to you. There is a grace, joy (and yes!), humility to CJ's life and ministry. On his blog, CJ links to some articles that display humility while calling people to exercise discernment as well. Take a look at Rob Bell, the Pastor's Task of Discernment and My Heart. Even though you may not be a pastor, and may have never heard of the Nooma series, you'll see a grace and compassion in his article that I strive to emulate. (If it strikes your interest, I too would encourage you to follow the links from CJ's site to Greg Gilbert's careful reviews.)

3 Lastly, what a surprise (and joy) to have a couple of you approach me wondering how to find the book on the Patristics. The name sounds imposing, but it really isn't that tough a read (if, like me, you read the translation, rather than the original greek). It's pretty interesting to see how the first disciples after the apostles wrote. If you are interested, you can find it here.

No comments: